/> Pearls Before Swine: Homemade Cheese Sauce For Mac & Cheese

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Homemade Cheese Sauce For Mac & Cheese



There is something special about Mac & Cheese. Maybe it is because we grew up eating it or maybe it reminds us of being home?  

For me,  it brings me back to my youth. Nothing can really beat a big ole bowl of macaroni. It's warm,  cheesy...great now I want some!  

You get the point,  we've all had it. However,  have you ever made your own?  It can't be beat,  totally trumps regular box Mac & Cheese. 

For this recipe,  you can use which ever noodle you prefer.  They can be made prior or during. You choose. 

I like to make my noodles ahead of time and let them cool a bit before adding my sauce. 

Ingredients : 

3 T butter
1/4 C flour
2 t mustard powder
2 C milk
1 C American Cheese
2 C sharp cheddar
1 C Parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper

In a medium skillet add butter,  flour. Stiring until mixed. When the butter starts to bubble,  reduce heat to low. 

Add milk,  and stir very well with a whisk. 

Add mustard powder. Stir until well mixed. Slowly add cheese a cup at a time. 

Simmer on low,  stirring constantly to avoid the milk burning. About 5 minutes or until cheese is all melted. 

Now,  add your cooked well drained pasta. Mix until all the noodles are good and coated. 

Salt and pepper to taste,  add parsly for garnish and serve warm. 

Refrigerate leftovers. 

Wanna get crazy?  Let's bake it!  

Transfer mixed noodles and  sauce to an over safe dish. 

Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs. To make my own I use normal white bread,  toast in the toaster. Then I add it to the food processor. Boom!  Homemade. They work great,  a little more texture than regular bread crumbs. 

Bake at 325 for 10 minutes. You just want the crumbs to brown slightly. 

And devour!  Your family will thank you!  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!